First-Time Home Buyer Tips
Our team of professional agents have helped hundreds of first-time home buyers achieve their real estate goals. We LOVE working with first-time home buyers to LISTEN to your goals, and then SHARE our knowledge built upon thousands of successful real estate transactions.
Along the way, there are key relationships to develop as well; fortunately you can leverage our deep knowledge of and relationships with lenders, title companies, contractors, and …just about every person that might be involved with the transaction.
Let Joel Nelson Group help you every step of the way to owning your first home!
Steps for First-Time Home Buyers
- Register to attend our FREE First-Time Home Buyer Seminar. (Missed our seminar? Contact us for a private run-through!)
- Clarify your budget (monthly payment) by reviewing your financial situation, and even get pre-approved for a loan. Think about:
- What do you pay now in rent?
- What are your monthly fixed costs, your variable costs?
- How much have you saved, if anything, for a down payment? Read about how much you need for a down payment.
- Develop your WISH LIST for your first home. Be sure to bucket your wants by MUST HAVE and NICE TO HAVE. Our agents have their fingers on the pulse of the local market and can advise you of what is realistic based on their extensive knowledge of DC neighborhoods, interest rates, and other relevant details.
- Don’t do this on your own. Find a trusted Buyer’s Agent who can walk you through the process. Why do you need an agent? For expertise, negotiating power, and even access to pre-market listings (before the rest of the market hears about it). A buyer’s agent can help you create the most competitive offer possible, which might include an escalation clause, to WIN YOUR DREAM HOME.
If this list feels overwhelming, come sit down with our team and a mortgage expert over Happy Hour drinks and ask questions in a no pressure environment – the goal is for you to learn!
USEFUL LINKS FOR FIRST-TIME HOME BUYERS
- Credit Score Estimator
- Freddie Mac – Freddie Mac makes homeownership and rental housing more accessible and affordable.
- Fannie Mae – Fannie Mae is a leading source of financing for mortgage lenders, providing access to affordable mortgage financing in all markets at all times.
- VA Loans – The VA loan is a $0 down payment mortgage option available to Veterans, Service Members and select military spouses. VA loans are issued by private lenders and guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Find Your Dream Home – or contact one of our Buyer’s Agents who can walk you through the process.